Wednesday 21 November 2018

A Graphic Double

Many thanks go to NetGalley and the publishers, Diamond Book Distributors and Udon Entertainment, for allowing me to read advance readers copies of these books in exchange for honest reviews.

This double bill is focused on a graphic novel about a world famous fictional spy, and a manga version of one of the most famous plays Shakespeare wrote. We're talking James Bond and Macbeth,,,a very unusual combination, I must admit!

James Bond The Body

This is really a collection of short stories that eventually interweave into one, all focusing on different body parts that are either injured or used metaphorically. It follows 007 through several different dangerous missions, stopping assassins, being chased down and attacked, and generally saving the world on a daily basis.

Artistically, I found it refreshing. The drawings are sharp and you can tell easily who is who, a problem I've had with some graphic novels in the past. It is very clear what is happening and the stories are very easy to follow. The action is typically fast paced, as with all James Bond stories.

However, I expected something with more pizzazz, more strength to the story. It seemed to be purely about the action with very little build up time. I understand that it is always a problem with short stories of any kind, but I think it was too rushed in places. Otherwise, no complaints!

Star rating: 3.5/5

James Bond: The Body
This book is available now

Macbeth

Do I need to describe to you what happens in Macbeth? Ok, here goes! After being given a prediction by three witches that he would be king, Macbeth and his wife decide to kill the king so the prediction should become real. However not everyone believes their version of events and, plagued by the past, the couple slowly slip towards madness and destruction.

I really found this to be a great way to get into the story. I read the play in school when I was a ot younger and the lines follow exactly. The most important thing, for me, was being able to see the story unfolding, not just trying to decipher what Shakespeare wanted his actors to do. In my opinion, his plays are meant to be seen and not just read, and this is one of the formats that a lot of people who don't like going to the theatre will be able to enjoy the story more.

On a negative, well, maybe the sheer number of different characters got confusing in the manga format for me, with similar faces etc, but it is a personal thing, not a real criticism of the book as a whole.

Star rating: 4/5

This book is also available now

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Magic of Terry Pratchett by Marc Burrows

Many thanks, as always, go to NetGalley and to the publisher, White Owl, for kindly allowing me to read an advance readers copy of this book...