Friday 7 September 2018

Richard Hull Crime Double

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher, Poisoned Pen Press, for sending me advanced readers' copies of these two books in exchange for honest reviews.

So, here's the first double review of my new blog. This time it's two British Library crime classics from the golden age of detective fiction, and two very different books by the same author, Richard Hull.

The Murder Of My Aunt

The Murder Of My Aunt tells the story of young Edward Powell and his personal vendetta with his aunt, Mildred, who he lives with in the small fictional Welsh town Llwll. Ann Mildred seems to do is badger and bother poor young Edward, so much so that he eventually decides to try to kill herin a variety of different ways.

I loved this book! It has instantly become one of my favourite crime novels of the era (just ask my students!). In many regards, it feels like the kind of crime novel P.G. Wodehouse would have written. Edward is a typical Wooster-like character, and Mildred is very much like the aunts from the Jeeves and Wooster stories. All through the book I was egging on Edward as he struggled with his life with his aunt. But, just like any good crime novel, there is a twist in the tale...and what a twist this book has! I actually gasped out loud, I was that shocked!

But I don't want to spoil it for you...

Star rating: 5/5

37587856
This book is available now

Excellent Intentions

Henry Cargate, the new owner of Scotney End Hall, is dead, killed for seemingly altruistic motives. Four people are suspected of his murder, but in court, only one can sit in the dock. This book follows the court case against our mystery defendant, who is not revealed until near the end. Even then, will this person be found guilty or not guilty? 

The idea of having the plot of the novel follow the court case is clever, something I've not come across before, and having that tell the plot to the reader is a wonderfully inventive piece of work. However, I found large parts of this book to be less inspiring and it was very obvious to me who the accused was. I think I missed some of the evidence given as a result of this. However, this Excellent Intentions is a well written book and the victim very unlikeable from the descriptions given.

Not my favourite, but still an unusual read.

Star rating 3.5/5

40395927
This book will be available from October 2nd 2018

Just a final note to say that I liked Hull's writing and clever plot ideas so I hope to bring some more reviews of his work to you in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Magic of Terry Pratchett by Marc Burrows

Many thanks, as always, go to NetGalley and to the publisher, White Owl, for kindly allowing me to read an advance readers copy of this book...